(2) Translated by Frederic G. Kenyon, Internet. !996 The Avalon Project.
(3) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th Edition, 1991.
(4) The First Written Constitution in the World, p. 9. The translation of the whole text for A. Guillaume's Life of Muhammad is appended at the end.
(5) Ibid., pp. 19-20.
(6) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th Edition, 1991.
(7) The First Written Constitution, p. 18.
(8) Quran, 49:13.
(9) Ibid., pp. 12-13.
(10) "There shall be no compulsion in religion: the right way is now distinguished from the wrong way." (2:256) Note that this statement of complete religious freedom comes immediately after the grandest statement of God's power to be found in any scripture. It is indeed significant!
(11) This text is taken from A. Guillaume, The Life of Muhammad -- A Translation of Ishaq's Sirat Rasul Allah, Oxford University Press, Karachi, 1955; pp. 231-233. Numbering added.